Love 'em or hate 'em, it’s mustache season again! Find out what Movember is all about and how to get your kids involved in a good cause!
Love 'em or hate 'em, it’s mustache season again! What is Movember?
The idea for Movember was born in 2003 in Melbourne, Australia. In the first-ever Movember challenge, a group of 30 Aussie friends (self-proclaimed “Mo Bros”) challenged each other to grow out their mustaches for an entire month, simply to see if they could bring the style back to popularity. Surprised by their bold mustaches’ ability to spark conversation, the founders decided to attach the challenge to a worthy yet overlooked cause—men’s health—and The Movember Foundation was born.
Today, The Movember Project draws international participants from America, Europe, South Africa, Canada, New Zealand, China, and more. Since its humble beginning with only 30 entrants, there have been over 5.2 million Movember participants, and a whopping $710 million has been raised to bring awareness about men’s health issues, from prostate cancer to depression.
This month is all about breaking the silence and stigma surrounding men’s health on a global scale. The rules? Every participant starts with a clean shave on October 31 - with a "before" photo to prove it - so you best get cracking!
Mo Bros then spend the next 30 days growing and grooming their upper lip hair. You get extra kudos for unusual styles or recreating the look of a famous tache wearer. One of the great things about Movember is the sense of community, so why not get the kids involved too? Here are 6 simple ways to do it!
1. Let them grow their own (fake) Mo
2. Let them help out with some of the fundraising efforts
3. Buy them something moustachey to wear around for the month
4. Talk to them about why you’re doing Movember
5. Use their cute faces as the actual face of your campaign
6. Come to our free Movember movie nigh on November 29th at The Priory School in Westmountt! Sign up to our newsletter and follow us on social media to get all the details!
Head to https://ca.movember.com/register to register as a participant or donate to the cause!